August 10, 2012 by Julia
Yumeka from Mainichi Anime Yume/animeyume.com recently created a questionnaire so people can share their fandoms. This seemed like the best way to let you all know where I am coming from when I talk about anime, so here you go. (see, I told you this blog would be about politics AND being a huge geek)
1. What anime have you seen? If you’ve seen too many to type out here, link to any list you may have, such as MAL.
I have my entire anime list on MAL, but it’s under a different alias, and I’m trying to be all anonymous here. I guess if someone who knows me very well stumbles upon these answers s/he would know who it is, but at least let me pretend here. Anyway, MAL tells me I have seen 54.6 days of anime.
2. Out of those, which ones would you consider favorites?
Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Whisper of the Heart, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Paranoia Agent, Spirited Away, Millennium Actress, Full Metal Panic! (especially Second Raid), Katekyo Hitman Reborn, G Gundam, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Tiger & Bunny
3. What was the first anime you ever watched and what was your first impression?
I’m a girl who grew up in the 90s–so obviously, Sailor Moon. I found it while channel surfing one morning, and it seemed so interesting that I watched it every day. It didn’t pander to me as a girl or young person, but it still fun. I had never encountered the character archetypes before–it seemed like something totally new, and it literally changed my entire life.
4. In what year would you say you became an anime fan?
I first saw Sailor Moon in approximately 1995-1996, but I did not even know it was something different called “anime” until around 1998 when I got the internet. I become an anime fan the first time I typed “Sailor Moon” into a search engine and saw the results.
5. Do you read manga as well as watch anime?
Yes. My favorite manga series are Magic Knight Rayearth, Sailor Moon, Angelic Layer, Cardcaptor Sakura, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Prince of Tennis, and School Rumble. I’m addicted to Sakura Hime Kaden right now, and I’m also reading Excel Saga.
6. What genre of anime usually interests you?
From the above lists, it’s pretty clear that I love mahou shoujo/magical girl series (although they seem to be better as manga than anime). I like fantasy (high fantasy and urban fantasy), some mecha and some mystery/intrique, and comedy.
7. What genre of anime least interests you?
Anything violent and bloody; slice of life.
8. For your own personal enjoyment, what do you think is the most important factor in an anime?
Interesting main characters. I can handle interesting people in a dull plot, but not dull people in an interesting plot.
9. Which do you prefer, dub or sub?
Subs. I cannot stand the American style of anime voice-acting. Why can’t they emulate Avatar: The Last Airbender or the Boondocks, which have made great use of American talent?
10. Who are some of your favorite Japanese seiyuu?
I don’t really have any “favorites” per se. The only ones who have impressed me enough for me to look up are Yuuichi Nagashima as Jaken (Inuyasha) and Takashi Kondo as Kyouya Hibari (Reborn).
11. If you watch anime dubs, who are some of your favorite voice actors?
I don’t watch dubs, but I do like Greg Ayres as a person.
12. Which anime do you think has the worst English dub? And the best?
The DIC Sailor Moon dub and “Cardcaptors” are obviously the worse. Trigun and Excel Saga are not terrible.
13. What are your most disliked anime?
Basilisk, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, the Utena movie, and the second season of Magic Knight Rayearth (which was heartbreaking, because the first season was perfect)
14. Do you ever try to get people interested in anime? If so, what kind of success have you had?
I’ve never really tried. My mom watched Wedding Peach with me, though, and really liked it.
15. Who are your most favorite anime characters?
Houji Fuu from Magic Knight Rayearth, Tennou Haruka/Sailor Uranus from Sailor Moon, Harima Kenji from School Rumble
16. Who are your least favorite anime characters?
Nova from the second season of Magic Knight Rayearth, Naraku from Inuyasha, Uchiha Sasuke from Naruto
17. Who are your favorite “non-human”(animal-like) characters?
Chi from Chi’s Sweet Home and Kirara from Inuyasha.
18. What are some ways you express your anime fandom? (going to conventions, blogging, reading fanfiction, etc)
I go to cons, but not as often as I used to. I blog about anime (obviously), and occasionally write fanfic. I’ve made a few music videos, but they aren’t very good; I like to watch other people’s videos, though.
19. What kinds of anime products do you usually buy?
These days I want products that are more mature, so I look for things that have an actual use (say, a coffee mug) or are classy decorations (I would buy a lithograph I could get framed instead of those bootleg laminated posters).
20. What are some of your favorite anime songs and soundtracks?
I don’t pay too much attention to the soundtrack, to be honest. I guess I would say that Cowboy Bebop has the best all-around soundtrack. My favorite opening themes are “Zankoku na Tenshi no Teize” (Evangelion), “Haruka Kanata” (Naruto, from the Chuunin Exam arc), “Flying in the Sky” from G Gundam, and, of course, “Moonlight Densetsu” from Sailor Moon.
21. What anime pairings/shippings do you like?
There a lot I generally like (such as Kagome and Inuyasha, and the potentially canon Gokudera and Haru), but the only one I REALLY ship is Shikamaru and Temari from Naruto. I know, random, right?
22. What medium to you usually use to watch anime? (buy DVDs, streaming, etc)
I think legal online streaming is the single best thing to happen to anime fandom in the last decade. I watch a lot of things streaming, but I try to buy the DVDs of things I enjoyed if they get licensed for release.
23. What is your favorite anime quote?
Errrrr . . . “Sekiha Love-Love Tenkyouken!” (that’s all I can think of)
24. What are your favorite anime movies?
Whisper of the Heart, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Spirited Away, Millennium Actress, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
25. What other “geeky,” media-related hobbies besides anime do you have? (video games, Western animation, etc)
I also love Asian dramas, particularly from Japan; my favorite is Hana Yori Dango. I read a lot (a mix of high fantasy (YA and adult), urban fantasy (YA and adult), dystopian futures (YA and classics), mysteries, biographies, history books, and travel narratives), and I don’t have a favorite book because I love so many of them. I read comics as well, both Japanese and American (only Marvel, though; I do not like DC). I do pen and paper role-playing; my favorite system is old school World of Darkness. I used to also role-play online, but I don’t have time anymore. Let’s see . . . I like to write, both fanfic and original works, and I play Magic: the Gathering. Whew.
26. What is your most favorite anime of all, and why is it your favorite?
That would have to be Sailor Moon. It’s not necessarily the BEST anime in terms of quality (I’d give that to Cowboy Bebop, I think. It’s not my number 1 favorite, but I still love it and it deserves all the credit in the world), but Sailor Moon was my first anime. As I said above, it changed my life (for the better, obviously).
27. What are some anime you haven’t watched but want to someday?
The whole line of Universal Century Gundam shows.