February 1, 2013 by Julia
(I know I’ve been totally AWOL; I promise that there are good reasons)
1. An older story that I added to The Big List of Racism when it came out: WTF, Hank Johnson? The NRA opposes Pres. Obama’s gun policies because it supports free enterprise, believes the federal government should only be involved in national defense, and is racist against Obama because he is black. Obviously. Thank you, Rep. Johnson, for decoding the conspiracy. The NRA has been advocating gun rights for decades specifically to set itself up to oppose a black president in 2013. Of course, that makes perfect sense . . . to a guy who is worried that Guam may tip over. What an idiot. These people need to invent racist intent so they don’t need to bother responding to other people with actual arguments, because why argue with a racist? It demonstrates a serious lack of intellectual heft.
2. I have a personal rage trigger for unreasonably and outrageous public school punishments (or treatment of students in general, I suppose), stemming from my own experiences and my utter disdain for teachers unions. Therefore, I have been flipping out over stories like this and this. I mean, really:
“He yelled at me and said I shouldn’t have brought the gun to school and I kept telling him it was a paper gun but he wouldn’t listen,” the fifth grader told the station.
How terrifying is THAT? This poor girl is trying to use logic on an adult in a position of power over her, and he wouldn’t listen. That’s an absolute nightmare to me, up there with being involuntarily committed to an inpatient program for mental illness when you aren’t crazy, and trying to convince the staff of such. (this is quite apart from the politics, which is also clearly ridiculous)
3. Every time a Democrat tells you how awesome Obamacare is (it’s happened to me twice in the last month), remind them that they love a policy specifically crafted to help Big Pharma, while taking advantage of people who could be helped by policies that actually work. Also, memorize this quote:
4. Here’s an older link, but I just stumbled across it yesterday. Essentially, Clinton’s HUD Secretary fully admits that the Democrat plan to increase mortgages to “minorities” and those with lower incomes will create problems for banks . . . and shows no remorse. Worth remembering, especially when Obama wants to make the Community Reinvestment Act stronger. Seriously, do these people even understand economics a little? Do they have some kind of short-term memory defect? What’s maybe even worse is how schizophrenic their approach to subprime loans is.
5. And in ridiculous environmentalist news, one of our employees in the Department of the Interior wants a “policy intervention” to prevent cats from killing birds and rodents. Yes. One of our alleged betters wants the government to stop cats from killing birds and rodents. No matter how many times you say it, it’s got to be one of the dumbest things you’ve ever heard, right? I’m saying this, of course, as both an advocate of limited government and a long-time cat owner (there are two sitting on the couch with me right this second. They are terrible hunters, and wouldn’t know how to kill a bird or rodent if they ever met one). I’m pretty sure the Second Amendment was written for the day they come for my cats.